Sunday, January 11, 2009

And so it begins....





So I have officially survived the first week of classes! Wha-hoo! I have gross anatomy for two hours each morning followed by microanatomy (histology - study of tissues) for two hours. Then we get lunch for an hour; which usually consists of grabbing something from "Shak-Shak" (which is the best place for food here!) and eating it while running all of my errands. After lunch our classes change depending on the day of the week, but they consist of physiology, nutrition, and intro to vet med. So far, my favorite classes are gross anatomy, microanatomy, physiology, and nutrition! I can't choose! We got our cadaver dog who we affectionately named "Doc Brown", the group next to us named theirs "DeLorean".
Vet school is definitely different than undergrad. The profs swear in class and make inappropriate jokes which are usually hilarious. They never assign reading or homework, so you just have to study all the time for tests, of which there are only two, plus the final...so that is all your grade consists of, so it is kinda nerve-racking. So far I've had a lot of "aw-ah" moments in class. A common phrase profs use is, "remember in undergrad when they made you learn X...this is why". That is probably my most favorite thing about Vet school is that it is very specific. It's not just arbitrary information thrown at you that is meaningless. For example, we'll learn about some process of the body, like we all did in undergrad, but then we'll learn why it happens and why it is important in the dog. At the end of lectures I feel like I've actually learned something worthwhile that I'll actually use!
We also had our whte-coat ceremony, which was really fun. We had a couple speakers that were really motivational. One of which was a Ross grad, who was very eloquent. He made us all want to run home and start studying! Of which, I must start up again...my fifteen minute dinner break is over :(

1 comment:

Tendra said...

Hi Rebekah! Great job on your blog! You've got this thing figured out. Carter just brought me home your blog address today and I couldn't wait to check in on you. I'm so happy that you are enjoying everything. The student housing looks amazing. Your pictures made me homesick for good 'ol St. Kitts. I'm so excited to keep up with your adventures. I am sorry, by the way, that I didn't get a letter for Dr. Gyimah over to you before you left. But I went ahead and mailed one, and I put in a good word for you. I am putting your link on my blog role, hope that's okay. Our address is: http://andrewsfavoritetimes.blogspot.com
Feel free to drop in. My blog won't be nearly as interesting as yours - just lots of shots of my kids and my goofy husband. ha!ha!Take care and best of luck to you. Tendra